Register for GST online for Free* and stay ahead on GST Compliance!
GST is a tax registration mandatory for all businesses in India meeting ANY of these conditions:
- Annual Sales greater than Rs. 20 Lakh
- Making sales outside your own state
- E-commerce Seller
What is GST Registration?
GST is the biggest tax reform in India, tremendously improving ease of doing business and increasing the taxpayer base in India by bringing in millions of small businesses in India. By abolishing and subsuming multiple taxes into a single system, tax complexities would be reduced while tax base is increased substantially. Under the new GST regime, all entities involved in buying or selling goods or providing services or both are required to register for GST. Entities without GST registration would not be allowed to collect GST from a customer or claim input tax credit of GST paid or could be penalised. Further, registration under GST is mandatory once an entity crosses the minimum threshold turnover of starts a new business that is expected to cross the prescribed turnover.
As per the GST Council, entities in special category states with an annual turnover of Rs.10 lakhs and above would be required to register under GST. All other entities in rest of India would be required to register for GST if annual turnover exceeds Rs.20 lakhs. There are also various other criteria’s, that could make an entity liable for obtaining GST registration – irrespective of annual sales turnover. Entities required to register for GST as per regulations must file for GST application within 30 days from the date on which the entity became liable for registration under GST.
WWW.GST.GOV.IN is a government authorized portal for registration and obtaining GSTIN
Our expert at unfolding tax will be happy to advise you to GST registration
Who all need GST Registration?
The registration in GST is PAN based and State specific. Supplier has to register in each such State or Union territory from where he effects supply if he fulfills any of the following conditions:
Having an annual aggregate turnover from all-India operations which is above the threshold limit of Rs. 20 Lakhs (Rs. 10 Lakhs for North-Eastern States).
Currently registered under any of the earlier indirect tax regimes (VAT, Excise Laws, Service Tax Laws) irrespective of the threshold limit.
Having branches in multiple states or multiple business verticals in one state.
Making any supply to other states.
Required to pay tax under Reverse Charge (In case your supplier is not registered under GST).
Required to deduct tax at source or an Input Service Distributor.
Agents of a supplier.
Supplying goods or services through E-commerce Operator.
E-commerce Operator / Aggregator who supplies goods or services under his brand name (e.g. Flipkart, Amazon, Ola).
- Supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered taxable person.
Documents Required for Online GST Registration
Business related proof
- Passport Size Photo
- Partnership Deed/Registration Proof like COI
- Copy of Bank Statement
- Authorization Form
For Address Proof
- Ownership Proof (Electricity Bill etc) – if property is owned.
- Rent Agreement (if property is on rent)
- NOC (Download format)
GST Registration Process
Frequently Asked Questions
- A business whose turnover in a financial year exceeds Rs 20 Lakhs ( For North eastern and Hill states it is Rs 10 Lakh in a financial year)
- If someone who wishes to make interstate supply then the above threshold is not applicable, that person has to get registered under GST.
- If someone is required to pay tax under RCM ( Reverse Charges Mechanism)
- Input service distributor.
- Every E-commerce operator.
- Under GST Whose turnover is above 1.5 crores and below 5 crores shall use 2 digit HSN Code, whose turnover is 5 crores and above will use four digit HSN code.
- Taxpayers whose turnover is below 1.5 crores are not required to mention HSN Code in their invoices.
- For services it classification is Service Accounting Code ( SAC)
- Under composition scheme one needs to submit summarized quarterly returns instead of monthly returns applicable for regular GST dealer.
- For services, the only opportunity is available for restaurant service providers who can opt for registration under composition scheme.
- Tax rates, applicable for a person registered under composition scheme are for manufacturer 1%, 2.5 % for restraint sector and 0.5 for the person supplying goods.
- However, once person registered under composition scheme under GST regime then he is not eligible for taking ITC (input tax credit under available on Purchases)
- Reverse charge by it names implies â€“ charge i.e. GST is payable reverse i.e. by buyer instead of Supplier.
- In reverse charge mechanism, GST is payable by buyer if he purchased goods and/or services from unregistered Dealer
- CGST input tax can be set of against CGST and IGST, not against SGST
- SGST input tax can be set of against SGST and IGST, not against CGST
- IGST input tax can be set of against IGST as well CGST and SGST.
So in case of payment of challan in cash form one has to take care that which type of tax payment needs to be done .i.e either SGST , CGST or IGST.